In troubleshooting the migration of Business Data Connectivity Services (SharePoint 2013) from one farm to another, I had to do quite a bit of research to discover the exact path necessary to get the objects properly exported and then properly imported into the farm. I initially was able to import all the objects without permissions, but wanted to grab permissions as well so I didn’t have to redo all of that work. So here is a rundown of the steps needed to get your BDC objects exported from one farm and imported into another.
To test out the migration of a site from SharePoint 2010 to 2013, I needed to convert a test environment web application to claims authentication to prepare for the move. However, to prove out my methodology and make sure I had the process down, I converted the web app back to classic authentication in order to repeat my steps. I’ve found a number of sites that explain how to do this, but have yet to find it all consolidated into one post. So here’s what I’ve found.
Since I had to piece together how to accomplish the migration of a host-named site collection (HNSC) I had already setup in SharePoint 2013, from one farm to another, I figured I would outline exactly how to do it. In my case, I needed the HNSC to be in its own content database, I’m targeting a particular web app with the HNSC as opposed to using a wildcard web app to handle the hostnames, and all of this is assuming you have your rights setup to be able to carry out all of this; SQL, SharePoint farm account and otherwise. With that said…